Traveler's Resources :: California
- A windbreaker is the most useful item of clothing
- Hat with chin strap
- Warm jacket or sweater
- Boat shoes or tennis shoes - must be soft-soled - no hiking boots!
- Warm gloves
- Rain gear (if it looks rainy)
- Suntan lotion (SPF 15 or higher is a good choice)
- Camera and appropriate lens (The 2 most useful lenses are: Birding trips 100-400, Landscape 18-200. For more information check out our Photography Equipment & Tips page.)
- Lunch/Snacks if not included in the trip
201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94710
Delphinus is in Slip K123. You will see several green buildings (Harbormaster). K Dock is directly behind these buildings. Continue down the ramp onto K Dock. Delphinus is a large, two decked, white vessel berthed in slip K123, about halfway out the dock on the left hand side. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time.
Driving East on Hwy. 80:
- Take the Powell Street exit.
- At the stop light, turn left and go under the freeway.
- Turn right onto Frontage Road. Follow (next to the water) to University Ave. (3rd stop sign).
- Turn left onto University Ave. The street comes to a "T." Continue to the left, then take the first right into the parking lot for slips "J-K". Parking is free in the Marina, there is more long-term parking across the street in the dirt/gravel parking lot.
Driving West on Hwy. 80:
- Exit highway at University Ave. exit.
- Follow University Ave. west to the Berkeley Marina.
- The street comes to a "T". Continue to the left.
- Take the first right into the parking lot for slips "J-K"
#5 Marina Plaza
Antioch, CA 94509-7905
The boat is in an assigned berth and a crew member will meet you in front of the Harbormaster's building. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time.
From the Bay Area:
- Take Highway 80 East to Highway 4 at Hercules.
- Go East on Highway 4. to Antioch.
- Exit on "L"/Contra Loma Street" in Antioch.
- Turn left on "L" at bottom of ramp, drive straight to the water.
- Cross the railroad tracks and you’re there.
Alternative: You can also take Hwy. 24 to Walnut Creek and then north on 680. In Pleasant Hill, take Hwy. 242 (says Antioch/Pittsburg), going east to Antioch.
From Stockton, Brentwood, etc.:
- From Highway 4 West, exit at "A" Street.
- Go north (right) on "A" Street. (becomes 2nd St. and ends at "L" St.)
- Turn right onto "L" Street. Continue straight across r.r. tracks and you’re there.
- Take 50 West to 80 West.
- Take 680 South (just past Vacaville/Cordelia).
- Continue south on 680, and cross the Benicia/Martinez Bridge ($4 toll).
- Exit on Highway 4 East.
- See directions from Bay Area for rest.
Petaluma Turning Basin
150 Weller Street
Petaluma, CA 94952
The boat will be docked along the river at Cavanagh Landing, 150 Weller Street, below a large beige Victorian house at 122 Weller Street. The ramp leading ot the boat is next to it. If the boat is doing multiple trips this day, it may not have returned yet, but will shortly. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time. Delphinus is a large, two decked trawler style white vessel, and River Dolphin is a large white two decked catamaran style vessel.
Please do not disturb the businesses at 122 Weller Street.
From Santa Rosa:
- Take the Washington St. exit from 101 and turn right towards downtown to Lakeville St (the stoplight after you pass the fairgrounds and library) - be in the left lane as you approach Lakeville. Turn left onto Lakeville and then turn right on D St. (the next stoplight). Turn right on Weller St. (just before the bridge) and park anywhere near Cananagh Landing, 150 Weller St. The dock leading to the boat is below a large white Victorian. If Delphinus is doing multiple trips this day, it may not have returned yet, but will shortly.
Driving from the South:
- Take 101 north. Exit Washington. Turn left and towards downtown. Turn left again on Weller and park anywhere near Cananagh Landing, 150 Weller St. The dock leading to the boat is below a large white Victorian. If Delphinus is doing multiple trips this day, it may not have returned yet, but will shortly.
Driving from the East:
- From Vallejo while on I 80, take Columbus Parkway exit, and continue west on Highway 37. You can then use either Lakeville Hwy. or continue west to Hwy. 101. Either way, turn right and continue to Petaluma. If using 101, exit on Washington and left again on Weller. Follow directions above. If using Lakeville, turn left on Washington and left again (about one block) on Weller St. and follow direction as above.
781 Baywood Drive
Petaluma, CA 94954
Please arrive 15 minutes before scheduled departure and allow time to find the boat. Delphinus is a large, two decked, white vessel, and River Dolphin is a large white two decked catamaran style vessel.
For a handy map and information on Petaluma you can visit www.visitpetaluma.com and request a Petaluma Visitors Guide. You can also call (707) 769-0429.
- On Lakeville Highway (116), turn left on Baywood Drive which is one block east of Highway 101.
From 101 North or South:
- Take the Lakeville (116) exit.
- Go east one block and turn right on Baywood Drive.
- Baywood will take you straight into the marina parking lot.
- Delphinus will be docked near the Harbormaster's Office, which is next to the water - we'll be using the small boat launch ramp.
- The Petaluma Marina is in the same complex as the Sheraton Hotel.
42 Harbor Way
Vallejo, CA 94590
Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time.
From the East Bay:
- Take Hwy. 80 East towards Sacramento.
- Cross Carquinez Bridge ($4. toll), stay in right lanes.
- Exit at Sonoma Blvd. and continue on it in left lane until the Curtola Parkway intersection (stoplight) and jog left onto Mare Island Way.
- Go past the Vallejo Ferry Terminal and turn left at the stoplight onto Harbor Way.
- Turn left into the first driveway and park. A crew member will meet you at the gate for "K" dock. (Harbormaster's office is too far.)
From the North:
- Take Hwy. 80 south. Exit at Tennesse and go west to end.
- You will see the marina directly in front of you.
- Go left at Mare Island and right on Harbor Way.
- Park in first lot on left. A crew member will meet you at the gate for "K" dock. (Harbormaster's office is too far.)
The Ryde Hotel & Event Center, 14340 Hwy 160
Walnut Grove, CA 95690
Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time.
From Hwy 4 in Antioch or Hwy 12 in Rio Vista:
- Take Hwy 160 North along the Sacramento River.
- Literally the hotel is on the West bank of the river in the town of Walnut Grove.
- One can take Hwy 160 South (the scenic route) or take Hwy 80 West to Hwy 12 East and follow the above directions.